Reading Time: 4 minutes
NetworkMe Podcast – Episode 3 – Reframe Your Mindset
Jean Evans 0:00
Welcome to the NetworkMe Podcast.
Today I want to talk to you about seven simple ways that you can reframe your mindset when you feel like opting out of that networking event or meeting that you signed up to do.
So let’s put it this way, opting out is not a good option because you start damaging your reputation.
What if there were simple things that you could do to ensure that you can get there and make the best of the experience?
So here’s a few things that I’ve learned that I’m going to share with you. There are simple tips, hacks, little techniques that you can use, find the ones that you like that suit you and run with them.
So here are some of my thoughts. And if you’ve got others, please do share them with me and with our audience.
- So the first one is listening to music, upbeat music, dance, music, music that makes you happy. listen to some music, in the car or on your earbuds or air pods, whatever it is, listen to some upbeat music because it gives you a pep in your step, it lifts your mood. And I think that’s a really good way of setting a really nice positive tone.
- The next thing is to don your cape. What do I mean by this? I literally mean, virtually mentally, go into the bathroom of wherever you are in a hotel, in a meeting facility, whatever it is, go into the bathroom, stand on the toilet, put your hands on your hips, shoulders back, head high. And you virtually think about yourself as Superman or Superwoman. Don your cape and stand there for two minutes. You can time it for two minutes. But stand there, stand tall. Think of yourself being raised by a piece of string to the ceiling. And stand tall. It’ll give you energy and it’ll give you confidence. Believe me, it works. I’ve tried it.
- Next thing I do. I love listening to podcasts. And I listen to lots of different types of podcasts. And I always come away, for the ones that I like. I come away energised and motivated, I’ve learned something new. I think it’s a really good way of getting yourself and getting your head in the zone.
- The next thing I do and I know other people do this because I’ve discussed this at length, is spritz yourself with your favourite perfume. I leave a bottle of my favourite perfume in my car so that I always can give myself a spritz if I feel the need to do so. So whether you’re a man and a bit of aftershave, a woman and your favourite scent, giving yourself a spritz gives you a left because it makes you feel better about yourself. And this can help you reframe your mindset.
- I think that dressing and how we show up and dressing for success, and I don’t mean putting on a suit, I mean dressing that makes you feel confident. And if you’re feeling a little bit tired, dressing in a colourful, you know if your lady dress in colourful tones, bright gives you energy, it makes you feel better. If you’re a man, it might be a colourful or funny tie, it might be a funny pair of socks. But something that gives you a lift and makes you feel better helps you with your mindset and helps you manage yourself when you’re going into networking meetings.
- I would also suggest that you dress yourself with a smile, smiling. It relaxes your body languages relaxes all of the muscles in your face. And did you know that it takes a 14 muscles to smile but it takes 42 to frown. So I think I will go with the 14 muscles and use them to smile because your body language will relax. It will make you more approachable, it will make you more welcoming. And that is really, really great when you’re in a networking environment. And this stands for online and offline. So don’t forget to smile and make yourself approachable that people want to connect to in with you.
- And my last reason or my last tip for reframing your mindset. Tip seven is think positively. If you think positively, you will visualise a successful event you will visualise a successful meeting. And it helps, also helps, reframe your mindset about when you’re going into your meeting.
So there’s seven tips of music, don your cape, podcasts, spritz yourself, dress brightly, something that gives you confidence. think positively and smile. There’s seven little tips for reframing your mindset when you’re not really feeling it. When you feel you want to opt out of that networking meeting.
But remember, learning to network is a journey.
It’s a process.
It’s a discipline.
It is a skill. It’s a skill to be learned.
It doesn’t happen overnight. So keep at it, keep at it, keep at it. And when you’re not feeling it, and you feel too tired, something has happened, you lost a deal. reframe the mindset. Remember, learning to network is a process. But what you get out of it is game changing once you buy into networking and doing this intentionally with purpose, but a huge part of that is your consistency and showing up and remember, when you sign up to something and you don’t show up, you are damaging your own reputation.
And I know if you’re listening to this podcast, and you want to network for success, reputation matters. See you in the next episode.
Further episodes can be listened to here:
- Episode 1 – Introduction To Your Host
- Episode 2 – The Networking Hub with Siobhan Fitzpatrick
- Episode 4 – Networking for Career Success